Like colored mascara, bold lipstick shades (usually) get a judgmental rap. When worn in the past, you might’ve been labeled as definitely weird, oddly high-maintanence despite the bright color’s sassy nature, and maybe even un-lady-like! While donning an aquamarine lip, or tangerine like Jennifer Lopez did in her “Live It Up” clip, will still illicit some pink elephant in the room stares, thankfully during this current makeup era of “tattoo” lipsticks and bejeweled pouts, colors outside of red and pink are finding a way inside our makeup pouches.
While blue was the first to gain notoriety, it’s really been the hue of purple that’s been more widely accepted and do-able in switching up your usual rut. Often containing a some shade of a blue undertone, whether slightly more lilac or royal, purple is the new universal shade’s that uniquely flattering. It’s different enough to stand out, but wearable enough to still translate one’s beauty.
So even though on an episode of The Face in which Naomi Campbell basically scolded fellow model Coco Rocha for not getting her life in wearing a purple lip during a confrontation, recently, another top model Joan Smalls has been wearing purple on both the red carpet and on her down-time. She couldn’t be a better spokesperson! At this year’s Met Ball Gala, she wore a deep purple and kept the rest of her makeup classic with black eyeliner, black mascara, and minimal bronzing and contouring.
Below are some choices to consider if you’re ready to think outside the classic box, or already have and just need some more options.
- Revlon ColorBurst Matte Lip Balm in “Shameless”
- Milani Lip Intense Liquid Color in “Violet Addict”
- Obsessive Complusive Cosmetics (OCC) Lip Tar in “Hoochie”
- M.A.C. in “Heroine”
- Maybelline ColorSensationals Vivids in “Brazen Berry”
- The Lip Bar in “Purple Rain”
- Fergie Perfect Pout Lip Color for Wet ‘n Wild in “Cabarnet”
- Black Opal in “Fantasia Plum”
- NYX Butter Lipstick in “Hunk”
- Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick in “Lavender”
- Iman Luxury Lipstick in “Taboo”
- Colour Pop Lippie Stix in “Leather”
- Gerard Cosmetics Lipstick in “Grape Soda”
- Dose of Colors Clasic Gloss in “Toxic” (also try their Matte Lipstick in “Dark Secrets”)